Mission :: History :: Reading Room :: Design :: LEED :: Image Gallery

Candler Library Renovation and Expansion

Column detail

Original plaster columns carefully preserved during renovation

 

Designed in 1926 by noted library architect Edward Tilton as Emory University's first separate library building, the Asa Griggs Candler Library was for decades the center of the University's academic and intellectual community. The mission of Candler Library Renovation and Expansion was to restore the architectural character of Candler Library as well as add much-needed office and classroom space near the heart of campus.

Preserving While Modernizing

Through careful renovation and design, the Reading Room was returned to its original grandeur while modern technology was seamlessly integrated into the space. Along with the construction of a two-story addition, the building's renovation provided state-of-the-art classrooms and office space. The addition was created to replenish the loss of usable square footage as a result of bringing the building up to code and to fulfill the need for new space on the Quadrangle.

Another important aspect of the renovation project was the implementation of LEED principles (Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design) throughout the design and construction of both the renovation and the new addition. The new design creatively adapts and recycles what had become an obsolete facility, giving it new life. The original building itself lends strong character to its new multi-use function, giving a building without a distinguishing function a distinguished character.

Working Together

Composed of representatives from the College Office, Facilities Management, Graduate School, and the Library, the Candler Library project team has worked with the architect and the general contractor to complete this project within a $17 million budget. With the reopening of the Candler Library in Fall 2003, an historic jewel was returned to the Emory community.

 


Mission :: History :: Reading Room :: Design :: LEED :: Image Gallery :: Home