The Academic Fellows Program provides student mentors to first-year and transfer international students. Academic Fellows work in pairs to provide support to 5-7 mentees. Academic Fellows contact entering international students in late May to answer questions and direct them to academic and other campus resources. After new students arrive on campus, each Academic Fellow pair provides on-going support and information to their mentees throughout the year, especially during strategic times such as before midterms and pre-registration periods. Mentors help to connect their mentees to other students as well as to the wide array of resources on campus, while also helping international students understand the culture of Emory College.
Academic Fellow mentor application requirements:
- Cumulative GPA of at least 3.0
- One faculty recommendation
- Attendance and participation in an on-campus, two-day formal training on Monday and Tuesday, August 20 and 21 (9 a.m.-8 p.m.).
- Full attendance and participation during International Student Orientation with assigned mentee group on Wednesday, August 22 - Friday, August 24.
- Attend monthly staff meetings during the Fall 2017 and the Spring 2018 semesters.
- 10 hours of mentee group contact throughout the Fall 2018 semester.
- 5 hours of mentee group contact throughout the Spring 2019 semester.
You can access the Academic Fellow application form here: https://emoryoue.wufoo.com/forms/rkdwxhq10ymf99/
Please send this link to the faculty member who will be completing your recommendation form. This faculty should be a professor whose class you have taken here at Emory. https://emoryoue.wufoo.com/forms/rmq3ee11hcw5x6/
Applications and faculty recommendations are due by Friday, February 23 at 11:59 p.m. You will be notified of your interview day/time by Monday, March 5 and interviews will be held in the afternoon on Thursday, March 22 and Friday, March 23.
Please email the director of the program, Dr. Frank Gaertner, at email@example.com with any questions.