|Time||Days||Location||Instructor||GER||Credit||OPUS Class Number||Syllabus (Tentative)|
Rich Building 211
|Evenden, Michael Thomas.||HSC.||4||3136||TBA.|
Study of Western drama from the 18th century through the modern period. Reading of representative dramas (average of two or three per week)with special attention given to their cultural and historical contexts.
Playwrights covered: Lillo, Marivaux, Schiller, Scribe, Feydeau, Ibsen, Shaw, Chekhov, Strindberg, Brecht, Beckett, Muller.
Required Textbooks, Articles, and Resources
- April 2010. The Wadsworth Anthology of Drama, Revised Edition / Edition 6. ISBN: 9780495903239.
- August 1966. Eighteenth-Century Plays. ISBN: 9780075536598.
- May 2001. Theater of the Avant-Garde, 1890-1950: A Critical Anthology. ISBN: 9780300085266.
- September 2003. Theatre/Theory/Theatre: The Major Critical Texts from Aristotle and Zeami to Soyinka and Havel. ISBN: 9781557835277.
- Other material provided as handouts and on e-reserve.
Recommended Textbooks, Articles, and Resources
- May 2003. MLA Handbook for Writers of Research Papers, 6th Ed / Edition 6. ISBN: 9780873529860.
|Assignment/Exam||Details||% of Total Grade|
|Particulars||Four equally-weighted exams, including take-home analytic essays and optional final paper.|
The schedule of courses on O.P.U.S. is the official listing of courses, including days and times they meet and the General Education Requirements they satisfy. Students should use course descriptions as general guidelines. Course requirements, grading details, book lists, and syllabi are subject to change.