|Time||Days||Location||Instructor||GER||Credit||OPUS Class Number||Syllabus (Tentative)|
*THIS COURSE HAS BEEN CANCELLED AS OF 07/06/2012*
We will explore the theme of loyalty in a variety of settings: the decision of Elia Kazan to "name names" of old friends as fellow communists before the Un-American Activities Committee; the betrayals of friends and family by such people as Linda Tripp and Bill Clinton during the impeachment scandals; loyalty to a religion or ethnic group versus loyalty to the state, and others.
Required Textbooks, Articles, and Resources
- 1984. The Darkness at Noon. ISBN: 9780553265958.Random House Publishing Group.
- 2001. The Spy Who Came in From the Cold. ISBN: 9780743442534.Simon & Schuster.
- 2003. The Crucible. ISBN: 9780142437339.Penguin Group.
- 1992. The Book of Job. ISBN: 9780060969592.HarperCollins Publishers.
- 1993. What Makes Sammy Run?. ISBN: 978067973422.Knopf Doubleday Publishing Group.
- 1993. Antigone. ISBN: 9780486278049.Dover Publications.
|Assignment/Exam||Details||% of Total Grade|
|Papers||Several short papers during the semester.||50%|
The schedule of courses on O.P.U.S. is the official listing of courses, including days and times they meet and the General Education Requirements they satisfy. Students should use course descriptions as general guidelines. Course requirements, grading details, book lists, and syllabi are subject to change.