Topic: Foundations of Liberalism
|Time||Days||Location||Instructor||GER||Credit||OPUS Class Number||Syllabus (Tentative)|
Callaway Center N116
What is liberalism? What are its fundamental philosophical principles? We will examine major works of modern political philosophy which ground the modern form of political association (the State), the emergence of civil society, and the rights and freedom of individuals.
Required Textbooks, Articles, and Resources
- The Prince. ISBN: 9780226500447.
- The Complete Essays. ISBN: 9780804704861.
- Leviathan. ISBN: 9780140431957.
- First and Second Discourses.
- On The Social Contract. ISBN: 9780312694463.
- Political Writings. ISBN: 9780521292122.
|Assignment/Exam||Details||% of Total Grade|
|Participation in discussion, final paper (20 pages).|
The schedule of courses on O.P.U.S. is the official listing of courses, including days and times they meet and the General Education Requirements they satisfy. Students should use course descriptions as general guidelines. Course requirements, grading details, book lists, and syllabi are subject to change.