|Time||Days||Location||Instructor||GER||Credit||OPUS Class Number||Syllabus (Tentative)|
Tarbutton Hall 218
1. Various theoretical approaches to education used by sociologists
2. Factors that affect educational achievement and attainment from within and outside of schools
3. The structure of the formal system of schooling within the United States
4. The influence of educational policy on the nature of American education
As issues of gender, race/ethnicity, and social class are inseparable from the experience of education, special emphasis will be placed on these issues throughout the course. Historical and comparative perspectives will be included to highlight our understanding of the educational system in the United States.
Required Textbooks, Articles, and Resources
- The Structure of Schooling: Readings in the Sociology of Education. ISBN: 9780767410700.
- Schools and Society: A Sociological Approach to Education. ISBN: 9781412950527.
- Class and Schools. ISBN: 9780807745564.
The schedule of courses on O.P.U.S. is the official listing of courses, including days and times they meet and the General Education Requirements they satisfy. Students should use course descriptions as general guidelines. Course requirements, grading details, book lists, and syllabi are subject to change.